Wednesday, February 2, 2011

PLEASURE


1. Sufjan Stevens, "All For Myself", Folk/Indie/Awesome, 2010
This song not only has a visually pleasing video, but in my eyes, it has the most realistic lyrics about humans desire for pleasure.



2. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, "Buddah Luvaz", Hip-Hop, 1995
3. of Montreal, "Plastis Wafer", Psychedelic Dance, 2008
4. Betty Davis (CHECK THIS BIATCH OUT), "He Was a Big Freak", Sex Funk, 1970
5. 2Pac, "How Do You Want It", Hip-Hop, 1996
Bibio, "Fire Ant", Electronic Indie, 2009 (I just really love this song and it gives me much pleasure to dance to it...)

Pleasure obviously was the easiest aim of which to find fitting songs. I'm not really attracted to anything associated with popular culture, but since I love music I have to brush shoulders with it sometimes. Yes, most music, whether on the top 20 charts or not, is about many of the same things. Love, sex and drugs is a constant theme is most music, including the more underground music I appreciate. I cannot deny it is human nature, no matter how smart a person is, his/her race or gender, or the musical taste of said person, to desire these pleasure inducing facets of life. I had no apparent theme, besides using songs I like, when doing this assignment, but it is apparent that the pleasure theme in music has dominated songs throughout the ages. I've song a song about raunchy sex from the seventies, as well as one from 2008. I've got 2 hip-hop songs from the nineties about drugs and sex...some of the most desirable activities during that time. 

The most obvious thing I learned from this assignment is no matter where one is geographically, humans rudimentary desires are the same. AND, no matter what time the time in history, people still desire those same things, drugs, sex, and love. Look at Carl Orff's Carmina Burana which came about around 1230 AD. The words are from a poem written by monks describing sinful acts such as sex, drinking alcohol and gambling. The environment and timeline may change, but people, we don't really change. 







2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on how pleasure (sex,drugs, ect) is the easiest aim to find. It's in my opinion only because it gets the most attention. I agree that we still relate to the 4 aims but disagree that we still view them the same. Community service, to me, seemed just as important as pleasure in Hinduism, however today personal pleasure seems to be the most popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that drugs can be left off the list of things that people around the world desire. Sex however is extremely prevalent because of nature; sex is made to feel good so that people would do it to perpetuate the species. In response to the monk's poem, I feel like they were morally and socially detained from drinking, sex, and gambling yet encountered these subjects every day and when things are presented repetitively and you're told not to do them your desire to do them will increase. So in a more worldly view, i feel moderation is important to keep the quest for the aims balanced even though in today's times we are more likely to lean towards pleasure.

    ReplyDelete