Tuesday, February 1, 2011

COMMUNITY SERVICE





The Youngbloods, "Get Together", Folk, 1967
Radiohead, "Optimistic", Radiohead, 2000
2Pac, "Changes", Hip-Hop, 1998 (released posthumously)
Cymande, "Listen", Funk, 1972
Joni Mitchell, "Woodstock", Folk, 1970 

Sadly, songs with a community service theme were much harder to find in America pop culture. When doing this portion of the assignment I realized it would be a futile attempt to try and find 5 songs I know talking about legitimate community service (i.e. helping out homeless people, going to old folks home), so I tried to focus more on songs that's aim was the betterment of mankind in general. These were easiest to find from the seventies because of the amount of civil unrest during that time. One thing I noticed about the difference between my songs and the Hindu aim is most of these songs target helping one group of people (most of the time a group including whoever was singing the song). I get the feeling that the Hindu aim is more about helping others, in general, not just when it will better your situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment